Headcount roulette timer

One thing that i read that some use headcount - i find this topic very interesting,
How gloomy and sloppy can we be with out losing accuracy and make our observations calibrate using headcount.

When i read about Laurance volume 2 recent to update my self about RA - i notice he wrote about how to use a phrase with the mouth clucking when saying this phrase in silent to him self.
Its the second time i hear some one using clucking with the thung - witch is a good human distinct skill.

Personally i been more into using hard letters using a phrase to distinct the same function as a vibration from a thumper.
As K is a hard letter and KetchupKirtap becomes with steady rhythm two thumps/vibrations as comparison or one depening witch to use.
M would be to soft to fullfill that function.

Then its about to adapt to different conditions where not same time interval frame is valid.
Then i like the count using 123 123 123 where one pronounced with a harder tone and 23 smooth out to get a loop with rhythm and here some one could adjust using 1234 1234 or end with 5.

I wondering how many actually spend time with a stopwatch and make split-times to see how accurate they are and what kind of delay effect that can appear using headcount.
Chart there own methods.

I still find it hard - even if i succed with some acc - but thumper feels more safe for the moment.
Any new ideas to eloberate about regarding this.

Cheers

Hi Lucky,

Just ran across this post and had some input…

I used to play trumpet in a jazz band. One of the techniques we learned to send quick pulses of pressurized air through the horn was something called double and triple tongueing :P. By using both the front and back parts of the tongue to move air, we could play many notes per second. Making the sound “Ta” or “Too”, we used the front portion and making the sound “Ka” requires the rear of tongue and throat. By using these syllables, trumpet players can execute notes very rapidly and rhythmically.

I borrowed and adapted some of these techniques to headcount very quickly and accurately. Each syllable takes 0.2 sec to execute (with some practice). I’ve had good results using the following combinations for timings between 1.0 and 2.0 seconds.

[ul]“tooka-tooka-to”: can be executed in 1.0 sec
“tooka-tooka-to-to”: can be done in 1.2 sec
“tata-ka, tata-ka-to”: is used for 1.4 sec timings
“tata-ka, tata-ka-to-to”: can be executed in 1.6 sec
“tooka-tooka-to, tooka-to-to”: is used for 1.8 sec intervals, and
“tooka-tooka-to, tooka-tooka-to”: can be performed in 2.0 sec[/ul]

For example, practice saying, “tooka-tooka-to-to” 10 x in 12 sec while observing the second hand on your watch. After a while your timing skills should improve - increase the time increment and number of repeats to test yourself.

A good goal is to quietly repeat “tooka-tooka-to” 60 times in 60 sec. Start with the second hand on 12 o’clock and repeat 60 x, quickly glance at your watch to check yourself. You should be within + or - 1 second of 12 o’clock.

I have used this successfully for “rotor timings” and am now attempting to use it with VB2 for reference times, to know when to read the number under the ball.

I hope this helps :D,

Nice… 8)
Used to use the 123 count but in other languages like mine for example it didnt work that great
This is good for anyone who isnt comfortable or used to counting in English
Thanks…:smiley:

Hi sharpshooter,
a very good input, I have to come away from the thumber too and
try different things.

Now I move only my lips , don’t say words.
When I would say 1-2-3 , I am not so concentrated on the spin, the
brain is a bit blocked.

I move my lips it sounds like bapbo - bapbo in 1,2 seconds.

And I use a Labello Stick to make my lips more flexible.

In my home country there was an old very perfect wheelwatcher.
It was told to me before some weeks, he should have done the same
more with his chops,

A good exercise is to do that syncronal with the thumber.
The finer points, exactly when the ball crosses the observation Diamond
the b of bapbo has to come like a laser and the ending o
the same.

E.H.

Hi Elhombre,

I have practiced against a watch’s second hand, but I agree - practicing with a thumper would be more precise, and probably would accelerate the learning curve for this. :wink:

[quote=“sharpshooter, post:2, topic:709”]Hi Lucky,

Just ran across this post and had some input…

I used to play trumpet in a jazz band. One of the techniques we learned to send quick pulses of pressurized air through the horn was something called double and triple tongueing :P. By using both the front and back parts of the tongue to move air, we could play many notes per second. Making the sound “Ta” or “Too”, we used the front portion and making the sound “Ka” requires the rear of tongue and throat. By using these syllables, trumpet players can execute notes very rapidly and rhythmically.

I borrowed and adapted some of these techniques to headcount very quickly and accurately. Each syllable takes 0.2 sec to execute (with some practice). I’ve had good results using the following combinations for timings between 1.0 and 2.0 seconds.

[ul]“tooka-tooka-to”: can be executed in 1.0 sec
“tooka-tooka-to-to”: can be done in 1.2 sec
“tata-ka, tata-ka-to”: is used for 1.4 sec timings
“tata-ka, tata-ka-to-to”: can be executed in 1.6 sec
“tooka-tooka-to, tooka-to-to”: is used for 1.8 sec intervals, and
“tooka-tooka-to, tooka-tooka-to”: can be performed in 2.0 sec[/ul]

For example, practice saying, “tooka-tooka-to-to” 10 x in 12 sec while observing the second hand on your watch. After a while your timing skills should improve - increase the time increment and number of repeats to test yourself.

A good goal is to quietly repeat “tooka-tooka-to” 60 times in 60 sec. Start with the second hand on 12 o’clock and repeat 60 x, quickly glance at your watch to check yourself. You should be within + or - 1 second of 12 o’clock.

I have used this successfully for “rotor timings” and am now attempting to use it with VB2 for reference times, to know when to read the number under the ball.

I hope this helps :D,[/quote]

Very nice reply and i like the idea using the human reflexes part of the skills we use.
I use 123 rhythmic loop witch would great with observing deceleration as both the headcount and visual read is connected.

You method sound like a great method - very nice.
I find rotor being more crucial to become acc using headcount then the visual read/estimate ball …

But i find solution for that also.
I read or observe red numbers and if i miss one pocket then i have the black number next to the red number - that make me 0% or 0,5% acc/pocket wrong reading rotor speeds.
As the head count rhythmic loop is constant it does not matter if it is 1.1, 1.2, or 1.3 as long i use the same time interval
(being constant)

I like the tata-ka as it has distinct hard letters when you pronounce it using thong …
Using a loop with tata-ka tata-ka tata-ka feel like 0.8 witch is very nice and if some one want to extand it you add kata-ka-to or kata-ka-to-to …

Very cool thanks for your input.
I can feel the wave movement with my tong using kata-ka-to

If i write about head count again i will add and referring to your reply using tong reflexes.

Thank you for the kind words Lucky,
I am glad you found this timing technique to be useful.

I have used this for timing/comparing rotor speeds at the begining of each spin (pockets per sec) for traditional VB and then using cross-over patterns to determine specific ball rev. However, I am attempting to use this headcount technique for timing the VB2 observed ball speed during linear portion of ball deceleration.

When you say, “I find rotor being more crucial to become acc using headcount then the visual read/estimate ball …” are you saying that the rotor timing error has more effect on determining the correct reference time, than the error due to timing/reading the wrong number under the ball, after the ref time passes?

I agree that knowing the exact rotor speed is not as important as knowing it is constant from trial to trial. Either way, thank you for your comments :slight_smile: